Monday, December 22, 2008

Why I blog about Africa

The nairobi banker has tagged me on why I blog about Africa...

I blog about Africa or more accurately Kenya, because despite living in the UK for 10+ yrs, I am the quintessential homebody. You can take me out of Kenya but you can't take Kenya out of me. So today I blog about Kenya and Africa because its one of the best cures for homesickness that I know.

I blog about Kenya and Africa because I want to strongly counter the negative vision of Africa that the West and its media likes feeding us. Some of it maybe true, but there is much more positive stuff that they could also report on, but don't have the gumption to.

  • What about the Kenya/Africa that has produced Mpesa the first of its kind in the world?
  • Or even Equity, a bank that has literally turned Kenyan banking upside down so that banks are now genuinely interested in the low working class?
  • How about the upcoming fibre optic cable and consequent explosion in internet penetration?
  • The rejuvented economies of Ug, Angola, Mozambique
  • The peaceful, democractic and prosperous Botswana
  • Or the fact that for every Kenya/Zim election fiasco, there is a Ghana/Zambia election pass?

I blog about Africa because it’s the future, most other places have already peaked and we are just building up...

I also blog as a way of networking with fellow Kenyans/Africans and specifically those interested in investing and growing our economies.

And now I pass the button to:

friend and fellow blogger, Ssembonge;
missing in action Pesa-tu/Realist;
And new comers Hatua and Huduma Bora

3 comments:

The Black Mamba said...

Maina, Keep up the good work. We need people to represent the motherland.

J K said...

MainT, you have smoked me out finally. 2008, delivered me more than I could handle, hence the "chilling"

J K said...

MainT, you have smoked me out finally. 2008, delivered me more than I could handle, hence the "chilling"